Wednesday, September 3, 2014

3 going on 30

Giggling girls, roaring hairdryers, cries of despair at the broken coffee maker: this is currently the scene at the ADPi house. Not unlike this morning, the house, between the hours of 8AM and 1AM (sometimes even later), becomes a whir of activity. Sometimes sisters move so fast on their way out the door, that only the Vera Bradley backpack pattern can confirm who it is.

As I walk downstairs, bleary-eyed to (not) make my coffee, I am struck by how different this scene is to the one that I had become very accustomed to for the past three months: me and my three roommates, living in a spacious house built for five.

The scene at that house was very different indeed, with some mornings not even starting until 11AM, and even then, the majority of the days (while we weren't at work) were spent lazing around in the hazy Hollow, trying not to die of heat stroke.

 And the quiet...oh my...if you have never stayed on a college campus in the summer, then you wouldn't know of the eerie, lethargic hush that seems to blanket everything--even the trees couldn't be bothered to  rustle their leaves. At the beginning of the summer this sort of quiet was so tranquil, therapeutic even, but towards the end of the summer, I would have given almost anything to be surrounded by even a fraction of the activity that goes on in the ADPi house.

And so, walking back to the five-man (the room that I share with four other girls) amid frenzied sorority girls getting ready for class, I can't help but acknowledge the difference between living with 3 and living with 30.


1 comment:

  1. Nice work, Sarah! The vivid details in this piece, and your blog about working out with your teammates, really make the scenes come alive. In both instances, you give me a glimpse into a world I've never seen. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete