Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Siempre estoy aprendiendo: Always I am learning


A lie: The classroom is the only place where one can learn. Never in my life has this statement been more false because now, the world is my classroom. Alicante--la ciudad del sol, according to my host father--is my classroom, and like an eager student, the classroom nerd, perhaps, I have my pen in hand, notebook open and highlighters at the ready because siempre estoy aprendiendo--Always, I am learning.

So far, I have not only learned new vocabulary and verb tenses in the classroom, but I have learned how to navigate a strange city; how to ride a tram (and not get on the wrong line); how to hold a conversation in Spanish with my host familia; how to not be embarrassed about my [many] mistakes; how to ignore catcalls like the confident Spanish women; how to deal with being so far away from everything I know and love; how to recharge a tram pass and buy a Spanish movil; how to ask for help when I need it, pride aside; how to do things myself when I don't need help; how to make friends in a place where I don't know anyone; how to really enjoy the little things like the warm caress of the sun on my face; how to cope when there are many areas where wifi doesn't exist; how to deal having to depend on finicky networks when wifi does exist.

However, above all, I have learned how to live life; how to make my heart happy.

How is it possible that I have only been here for four days?! It's loco!

In any case, I can't wait to see what this beautiful classroom of Alicante has in store for me the next four months.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy you are doing a blog. Just reading this brings back so many memories of when I lived in Budapest. I went thinking I'd be their for a year and ended up staying almost 3-1/2. There are so many things to learn and enjoy in Europe! Do as much as you can and embrace the differences. Don't get me wrong, I love my American life, but I often think back to my European life and actually how much simpler it was. Can't wait to read more! Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete