Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Un Pececito: A little fish

 

 A fish does not realize it is in water until someone takes it out of the water: our program director's analogy for cultural immersion.

I can't even begin to say how true this has already been for me; even something as simple as ordering a cup of coffee is a new concept--apparently you pay after you drink and it is cringe-worthy to walk down the street and drink coffee at the same time. (Spaniards sit down and drink coffee, using the time to relax and socialize.)

Anyway, to use the director's analogy, this little fish has never felt so out of the American water in her life, not even when I visited Paris in high school. Then, I only had to tread in the shallow end of the French water, as I only was there for four days; however, now I am diving head first into the deep end as I will be here in Spain for four months, so I might as well get used to the water.

I am excited to get used to the water, and go beyond the surface of what is different about the Spanish culture and figure out why it is so different.

Why do Spaniards eat la comida (lunch) and la cena (dinner) so late? Why is it inappropriate to wear gym clothes out in public? Why do they seem to have no idea what personal space is?

Right now, I honestly can't say that I know the answers to all, or any, of these questions nor am I completely comfortable or adjusted yet.

However, this pececito is planning to grasp ahold of every chance, every opportunity, every experience nueva that comes to me; I don't intend to let anything float by me in this big, strange sea they call Europa.

No comments:

Post a Comment