Sunday, October 5, 2014

Food Trucks: They're a Thing

Oozing hot ham and cheese on toast hot enough to warm chilled fingers, greasy fries smothered with melt-y cheese, crumbly biscuits with gravy that melt upon tongues first touch--all are probably a heart attack in tin foil, but at 2:20 AM on a brisk Saturday morning at the University of Dayton, that risk was one that I was willing to take.

Being from a small(er) town in the Cleveland area, I didn't even know that food trucks (and their greasy goods galore) were a thing (even though I am a self-proclaimed 'foodie').

I was first introduced to the concept at the Springfield food truck festival in early August when many Witt students were finding their ways back to campus. Absolutely in awe of the rows on rows on rows of essentially, mini kitchens on wheels, I had the hardest time choosing into what I wanted to sink my teeth.

Having forgotten mostly about the festival (it being just a blurb in the whirring first half of the semester), I found myself on the University of Dayton's campus this past Friday night visiting some high school friends. Having taken advantage of all the night had to offer and after trekking (what seemed) like miles  in the frigid sub-45 degree night, the soft glow and gentle whirring of that beautiful food truck was a godsend. So much so that it was even worth the 25 minute wait.

We--seven of us in all--scarfed down our savory finds before we even got back to the apartment, burning our tongues in the process. But again, it was so worth it.

That all being said, I wonder what having a food truck at Wittenberg would be like? If people were willing to wait in the unseasonably chilly night in Dayton, would students at Witt do the same?

The gooey ham and cheese still haunting my thoughts...these are the kinds of questions that keep me up at night....

No comments:

Post a Comment